Sunday, February 21, 2016

w6d5 - Really beginning the catfinder project

On Friday and over the weekend, I started building the catfinder project in Django.  As of Sunday, I have the models (i.e. database structure) built.  The site has register, login and logout capability.  And that's it.

I'm having my familiar new-project sense of overwhelming options making it impossible to proceed.  I'm working through it by biting off small pieces, by making to-do lists in evernote, and by trying to be selective in what I search for online.  It's possible to find yourself reading some fairly advanced advice on setting up new projects, and before you know it you're reading about virtual environments and load-balancing...

All I want right now is to start building some functional forms and see if they can interact with my databases.  The register and login forms do, but they're built off templates from the in-class projects.

The roadblock?  CSS.  Should I build my pages from scratch to show I can do it, or use a drawing-assist program like web designer or even just a button-drawing assist like ui parade.  I doubt anyone really makes their own stuff if they can avoid it but...

I'm seeing where my instincts to learn the inner workings of things is running up against the complexity of modern systems.  I think I may focus on the back end stuff and getting a really good handle on that side, and use as many assists from available tools as I can (so long as I can convince myself that I have some sense of what's going on, anyway).

No comments:

Post a Comment