Sunday, February 14, 2016

w5d5 - Planning something big

Day 5 saw the implementation of some more elements of a simple web store- a checkout page and a user profile page.  These I did without input from the instructors.  They work ok, but it's nothing super exciting.  I suppose the good part is that I'm starting to 'get' basic django well enough that I don't need step-by-step instructions.

Friday afternoon, and much of today, was spent working on plans for a bigger, standalone project.  We're supposed to go through a complete cycle of project development, starting with "user stories" and wireframe mockups of pages.  I was divided between a teaching tool that an instructor could use to divide students by ability (set according to parameters the instructor chooses), and a light-hearted "Yelp for cats".  I went with FriendlyCatFinder as my project.  I really like the student working group project, but it's much more than two weeks' work at this point in my development. (The plan was to let a teacher upload a short quiz, then split students in to equal, random groups such that each smaller group has a mix of top, medium, and low-performing students.  Instructors with large classes face the problem that they don't know individual students well enough to make groups on their own.  The smaller groups would then be given a case study or other long-format problem to consider, and answer as a unit.

FriendlyCatFinder, by contrast, has a much more unified structure.  It would be a simple geolocation app with a form for rating cats encountered in public.  How pettable, how approachable, etc.  It's cute and fun, and I'll get a chance to learn the google maps api as well as build a site with minimal support.

Tomorrow: bootstrap, and a return (for me) to javascript.

No comments:

Post a Comment