Sunday, January 17, 2016

Days 7 & 8 - Rest, and challenge

Day 7, Saturday, was our day of rest.  I still worked on my columns for US News and Time for a bit of Saturday morning.  Saturday afternoon, though, was just rest and relaxation.

Day 8, Sunday, was a fiasco.  I was up early, made food for the week, did some laundry...and broke my little budge app. The rest of the day was spent fixing the budget app.  It's 7 pm and I've manage to restore the app to yesterday's functionality with a few marginal improvements.  On the bright side, I have a large, well-seasoned pot of beans and some clean laundry.

What did I learn today?  Don't push every element of a program to the limit (or beyond) of your capabilities.  When something breaks, you don't understand all the elements well enough to follow what's going on around the part that broke.

Also: learn version control so this doesn't happen again.

Update: 8:45 pm

I went for a short walk, came back and figured out some more useful elements.  One of my goals for this code school project is to demonstrate that I can still work through setbacks.  The hardest part, for me, is not taking failed attempt at coding as a judgement on my worth and skill.  I want to get to where I care deeply about making clean, functional, elegant code but I don't see every mistake as an indictment.  It's a hard process, and it's ok to make mistakes.  The key is process: be methodical, document, test, move on.  Also, version control.

No comments:

Post a Comment