Tuesday, March 1, 2016

w8d1&2 - Heroku, javascript and a slightly functional catfinder

So the super-alpha version (can code have a negative version number?) of www.friendlycatfinder.com is up on heroku.  It's functional as far as it goes (i.e. you can add cat sightings and see a list of cats in a particular area).  It's ugly as hell, and it's still missing a lot of polish.  There's no guarantee from minute to minute that it will still be working, as I still have a ton of mods to do.

I'll also admit that the heroku spin-up was entirely done by the instructors.  I have a detailed walk-through (with annotations!), but I can't claim to be capable of this on my own.

But still...

Today was all about getting some front-end styling in place.  I took a carousel bootstrap template that I'd downloaded previously and started playing with it.  I have it partially working in development.

And just as I type that, I go back to look and the carousel is not turning.  Sigh.

Still, I've gotten over the hurdle of being afraid to dive into front end at all.

Update: With the help of an html validator (https://validator.w3.org/nu/), I discovered an errant space in a carousel element id.  That's it.  So aggravating.  But hey, a new tool learned.


No comments:

Post a Comment